To study how genetic factors and environmental factors affect disease risk, two large-scale prospective studies, the Tohoku Medical Megabank Project Community-Based Cohort Study (TMM CommCohort Study) and the Tohoku Medical Megabank Project Birth and Three-Generation Cohort Study (TMM BirThree Cohort Study), are ongoing in Miyagi and Iwate Prefectures in Japan.
Since the cohort studies started in 2013, we successfully recruited more than 150,000 participants for baseline assessment by 2017. We collected biospecimens including serum, plasma, mononuclear cells, urine, and the answers to the questionnaires of their lifestyles and medical history. A part of participants took detailed health survey in assessment centers we established.
After the baseline assessment was completed, we have started follow-up study “repeat assessment center-based survey during the second period” in which we ask participants to take a health survey similar to the baseline assessment they did at the centers. We made plan for this repeat assessment survey which they take once a 3 to 5 years. We also collect postal or web annually questionnaire and information survey from publicly constructed database.
Detail of cohort studies
|Name of cohort study
|TMM CommCohort Study
||Local residents who are 20 years old or older
|TMM BirThree Cohort Study
Birth and Three-generation cohort
|Expectant mothers and their family
Number of cohort study participants
Community-Based Cohort Study (TMM CommCohort Study) *Japanese Only
Birth and Three-Generation Cohort Study (TMM BirThree Cohort Study)
Return of Genomic Results to Cohort Study Participants
the ToMMo Child Health Study
Additional Cohort Studies
We also perform some additional cohort studies on participants of TMM CommCohort Study and TMM BirThree Cohort Study. For example, we are studying brain imaging data of over 4,000 subjects through “Health surveillance of the brain and psychological state program with MRI” (the Brain-MRI project). In another example, we are looking at lifelog data of mothers during pregnancy with a smartphone through Maternity Log Study (MLOG). By focusing on some specific topics in different areas, the studies make our biobank resources richer.
The scheme of additional cohort studies
The subjects of additional cohort studies are a part of cohort study participants.
-Health surveillance of the brain and psychological state program with MRI
-The Maternity Log Study (MLOG)
To achieve next-generation medicine, such as personalized medicine and healthcare, we have been developing the biobank from the biological specimens of 150,000 cohort study participants. We store millions of biological specimens such as serum, plasma, mononuclear cells, DNA, health information, and genetic data from the cohort study participants.
|DNA, Plasma, Serum, Buffy coat cells, Peripheral blood mononuclear cells, Cord blood mononuclear cells,
EBV-Transformed B cells, Stimulated T cells, Urine, Breast milk, Saliva
Specimen and Data Collection
- The Tohoku Medical Megabank Project: Design and Mission
- Shinichi Kuriyama, Nobuo Yaegashi, Fuji Nagami, Tomohiko Arai, Yoshio Kawaguchi, Noriko Osumi, Masaki Sakaida, Yoichi Suzuki, Keiko Nakayama, Hiroaki Hashizume, Gen Tamiya, Hiroshi Kawame, Kichiya Suzuki, Atsushi Hozawa, Naoki Nakaya, Masahiro Kikuya, Hirohito Metoki, Ichiro Tsuji, Nobuo Fuse, Hideyasu Kiyomoto, Junichi Sugawara, Akito Tsuboi, Shinichi Egawa, Kiyoshi Ito, Koichi Chida, Tadashi Ishii, Hiroaki Tomita, Yasuyuki Taki, Naoko Minegishi, Naoto Ishii, Jun Yasuda, Kazuhiko Igarashi, Ritsuko Shimizu, Masao Nagasaki, Seizo Koshiba, Kengo Kinoshita, Soichi Ogishima, Takako Takai-Igarashi, Teiji Tominaga, Osamu Tanabe, Noriaki Ohuchi, Toru Shimosegawa, Shigeo Kure, Hiroshi Tanaka, Sadayoshi Ito, Jiro Hitomi, Kozo Tanno, Motoyuki Nakamura, Kuniaki Ogasawara, Seiichiro Kobayashi, Kiyomi Sakata, Mamoru Satoh, Atsushi Shimizu, Makoto Sasaki, Ryujin Endo, Kenji Sobue, the Tohoku Medical Megabank Project Study Group, Masayuki Yamamoto
Journal of Epidemiology, Published online: 23 June 2016 DOI: 10.2188/jea.JE20150268
- Biobank Establishment and Sample Management in the Tohoku Medical Megabank Project
- Minegishi N, Nishijima I, Nobukuni T, Kudo H, Ishida N, Terakawa T, Kumada K, Yamashita R, Katsuoka F, Ogishima S, Suzuki K, Sasaki M, Satoh M, Tohoku Medical Megabank Project Study Group, Yamamoto M.
Tohoku J Exp Med., 2019 Volume 248 Issue 1 Pages 45-55, DOI: 10.1620/tjem.248.45.
- Cohort Profile: Tohoku Medical Megabank Project Birth and Three-Generation Cohort Study (TMM BirThree Cohort Study): Rationale, Progress and Perspective
- Shinichi Kuriyama, Hirohito Metoki, Masahiro Kikuya, Taku Obara, Mami Ishikuro, Chizuru Yamanaka, Masato Nagai, Hiroko Matsubara, Tomoko Kobayashi, Junichi Sugawara, Gen Tamiya, Atsushi Hozawa, Naoki Nakaya, Naho Tsuchiya, Tomohiro Nakamura, Akira Narita, Mana Kogure, Takumi Hirata, Ichiro Tsuji, Fuji Nagami, Nobuo Fuse, Tomohiko Arai, Yoshio Kawaguchi, Shinichi Higuchi, Masaki Sakaida, Yoichi Suzuki, Noriko Osumi, Keiko Nakayama, Kiyoshi Ito, Shinichi Egawa, Koichi Chida, Eiichi Kodama, Hideyasu Kiyomoto, Tadashi Ishii, Akito Tsuboi, Hiroaki Tomita, Yasuyuki Taki, Hiroshi Kawame, Kichiya Suzuki, Naoto Ishii, Soichi Ogishima, Satoshi Mizuno, Takako Takai-Igarashi, Naoko Minegishi, Jun Yasuda, Kazuhiko Igarashi, Ritsuko Shimizu, Masao Nagasaki, Osamu Tanabe, Seizo Koshiba, Hiroaki Hashizume, Hozumi Motohashi, Teiji Tominaga, Sadayoshi Ito, Kozo Tanno, Kiyomi Sakata, Atsushi Shimizu, Jiro Hitomi, Makoto Sasaki, Kengo Kinoshita, Hiroshi Tanaka, Tadao Kobayashi, Shigeo Kure, Nobuo Yaegashi, Masayuki Yamamoto, Tohoku Medical Megabank Project Study Group
International Journal of Epidemiology. 2019, DOI:10.1093/ije/dyz169
-Spouses Really Are Together in Sickness and in Health Suggests New Study(Sep. 22, 2021)
-ToMMo completed the ToMMo Child Health Study in Miyagi Prefecture during a period of four years after the Great East Earthquake (Apr. 5, 2016)
-Depressive symptoms continue to be higher in coastal areas than in inland areas 3 years after the Great East Japan Earthquake (Mar. 16, 2016)
-Psychological Consequences Remain Profound Among Coastal Communities Devastated by the Great East Japan Earthquake(Sep. 1, 2015)
-Findings from the FY2013 Long-term community child health study (Jan. 17, 2014)
-The first round of aggregate findings from the community resident cohort study in the first year-27% of study participants showed depressive tendencies, 5% showed signs of PTSD- (Feb. 27, 2014)
The article about the design and pilot study for return of genomic results in TMM cohort study was published (July 27,2021)
The article about study profile of The Tohoku Medical Megabank Community-Based Cohort Study was published (Aug. 31, 2020)
The article about design and progress of oral health examinations in Tohoku Medical Megabank Project was published (June. 26, 2020)
The article about the design of Tohoku Medical Megabank Project Birth and Three-Generation Cohort Study was published (Sep. 30, 2019)
50,000 people have participated in the Tohoku Medical Megabank Project Community-Based Cohort Study in Miyagi Prefecture (Nov. 4, 2015)
The number of participants for the Tohoku Medical Megabank Project Birth and Three-Generation Cohort Study reached to 70,000 (Jan. 26 2017)
iPS cells made from cells collected through the Tohoku Medical Megabank Project (Apr. 19 2019)
-Interview with Dr. Tomita from the Department of Disaster Psychiatry (Oct. 8, 2014)